How to Make Rice Crust Step-by-Step
For those of you who may have questions regarding how to make the pizza crust (or flatbread) using cooked rice, I decided to make another crust this morning taking pictures of each step along the way🙂 I love this easy crust so much and want everyone else who tries my recipes to be successful, so I hope this helps!
A few notes to start:
- I use cooked wild brown rice OR cooked brown rice for this recipe, I have never tried white or arborio or sushi rice and I haven’t tried this with minute rice or quick cooking.
- I use a small non-stick pan that is oven-proof. I haven’t tested this crust with a iron-cast skillet (it may stick, I am not sure since I haven’t tried – I don’t own one currently). In my original recipe, I wrote in iron-cast but I must have been thinking one thing and wrote another…so sorry!
- Before flipping the crust, make sure it is crisp to touch on both sides, otherwise it might crumble or be too undercooked or soggy to flip over.
Wild Rice Pizza Crust
1/2 tsp coconut oil, butter, ghee or oil or choice
1 cup cooked long grain wild rice or brown rice (used brown for this time around)
2 tsp flax seed meal (you could probably replace with flour of your choice)
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 egg white (omit or sub a flax egg for vegan version)
1/4 tsp honey or a dash of stevia, optional (I use a pinch of stevia or eliminate)
1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 425F (I use my toaster oven). Place small
iron-cast non-stick skillet/oven-proof frying pan) in oven with coconut oil/butter until melted. Dont let it smoke and burn!
2. Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients to a blender or a food processor.
Blend for 20-30 seconds. The rice mixture should have a thick batter consistency. If too thick, add a 1/2 tbsp of water at at time until consistency is reached.
3. Remove hot pan carefully from the oven (be careful not the burn yourself on hot handle!) and add rice batter to the pan and spread evenly.
Bake in oven for 13-15 minutes, or until browned on the bottom and slightly crisp.
Remove from oven again (using oven mitts with hot pan!) and flip over, then cook for another 13-15 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and add your favorite pizza toppings. Bake for another 5 minutes or so until cheese is melted (if using cheese) or toppings are heated and crust is crispy. For this pizza, I added sauteed onions, chicken sausage and spinach with homemade tomato sauce (tomato paste + water to thin + salt + italian seasoning).
5. Using a spatula, slide crust out of pan, slice and enjoy!