Peanut Butter Crepes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Filling (Grain-free) SRC
When it comes to food ruts, breakfast is the meal that poses the most difficulty for me. My go-to option is a smoothie but switching things up a bit is always welcome. I am a sucker for pancakes, waffles, crepes, biscuits and bread in general so if I find a good (and easy) way to get my fix, I’m all over it! My quick Quinoa Buckwheat Skillet Bread is a great example, but a girl can’t live off this bread alone🙂 I’ve had crepes on my mind since a new creperie opened up in town and I can’t seem the shake the craving.
I was stoked when I came across these Peanut Butter Crepes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Filling when browsing through Tara’s Multicultural Table blog after receiving this month’s for our Secret Recipe Club reveal! Tara’s site is full of recipes from around the world, and her recipe index is a breeze for search through, especially if you are looking for specific ethnic cuisine. Tara’s Brazilian Cheese Bread Waffles had me drooling, along with Armenian Tahini Bread and her Samoan Sweet Coconut Buns…can you tell I had carbs on the brain?😉
Though oodles of her recipes were enticing, when Tara mentioned these crepes were naturally gluten-free and flour-less, I was sold. My crepe craving was satisfied! These are definitely best served warm, I had right off the pan and preferred it to the room temperature version I had after snapping photos :) Since these are grain-free, don’t expect the same exact texture from a traditional crepe, but they deliciously filling, sweet and packed with cinnamon-flavor.
I made two different versions, one for me with my limited food list and another batch basically as written with the sugar swapped out for a lower glycemic sweetener. For “my batch”, I used sunflower seed butter for in lieu of the peanut butter, stevia for the sugar in both the crepe and filling and made a coconut cream cheese (recipe link in the notes section). I received rave reviews for the peanut butter version and I loved my allergen-friendly crepes! I served mine with some chopped cherries and apples and a tiny drizzle of maple syrup…they are sweet enough to be a dessert in my book!
Peanut Butter Crepes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Filling (adapted from Tara’s Multicultural Table)
Grain-free, Gluten-free, Nightshade-free, Soy-free, Paleo-friendly option, Sugar Free & Dairy-free Options, Vegetarian, Nut-free Option
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 Tbsp granulated sweetener or a pinch of stevia to taste
2 Tbsp creamy all natural peanut butter (almond butter or sunflower seed butter for Paleo and/or nut-free)
4 ounces cream cheese* (see notes below for allergen-friendly alternatives) softened
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sweetener or a pinch of stevia
Drizzle of maple syrup, agave nectar, honey or coconut nectar
sprinkle of ground cinnamon
coconut whipped cream
chopped apples, cherries, sliced bananas or berries
chocolate chips or cacao nibs
1. To make the crepes, whisk the egg and egg whites in a medium to large bowl until foamy. Whisk in the vanilla extract, sweetener, and peanut butter.
2. To make the filling, mix together the filling ingredients in a small/medium bowl and set aside.
3. Grease a large skillet with coconut oil (butter/ghee or your favorite oil can be used) and heat over medium heat. Once thoroughly heated, evenly swirl about 1/4 cup crepe batter in the pan. Cook about 1-2 minutes, until small bubbles appear and crepe sets. Flip with a large spatula and cook another minute, until golden.
4. Remove crepe from pan to add filling while still warm and roll up. Serve immediately with maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
1. *Cream Cheese alternatives: Try this cashew cream cheese for a vegan, soy and dairy-free option or this coconut cream cheese for a vegan, paleo and nut-free version.
2. If you are vegan, I don’t have a good egg-free option for you unfortunately but the filling is delicious if you use a dairy-free option and can be slathered on toast, pancakes etc
3. If you like chocolate and peanut butter, these would be awesome if you reduced the amount of cinnamon and added some chocolate chips and banana added to the filling.
For other recipes from this week’s reveal, click the link below!
Entry filed under: Breakfast, Dessert, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free, Sides and Snacks, Vegetarian. Tags: breakfast, dairy free, eggs, gluten free, grain free, honey, Nightshade free, nut/seed butter, paleo-friendly, refined sugar free, snacks, soy-free, vegetarian.