Quick Quinoa-Buckwheat Skillet Bread (SRC)
Sometimes a girl just needs some bread. While I eat grain-free dishes at times and I love my veggies, nuts and protein, I certainly can’t resist a good slice of bread. Whether it’s dense and chewy or light and airy, I will take bread in any form. Of course, finding it and/or making it gluten-free can be a more laborious task.
What if I told you that you could make this bread in 20 minutes from start to finish…without using an oven? Literally. I had no excuses, I just HAD to!
It’s Secret Recipe Club reveal day again and this month I was assigned to JJ’s beautiful blog, 84th & 3rd. JJ has a captivating writing style, and when paired with inventive, healthy recipes and drool-worthy photos, I was sold on both her and her food. I have bookmarked a slew of recipes, but I was immediately drawn to her tag labeled “Crazy Creations”. I am all about experimenting with something different, and the first recipe that caught my eye was her Purple Carrot Anniversary Pie. I was set on making this dish but couldn’t locate purple carrots anywhere…while I could have used orange carrots, I thought the purple ones added to the novelty and opted to add this to my “must make list” for a later date.
I then spotted her Quinoa Buckwheat Skillet Bread, and I happened to be in the mood for bread to accompany my lentil stew I was making for dinner. Perfect timing…and it was delicious! Soft and light in the middle with a slightly firmer “crust” on the outside, this bread is versatile, super tasty…and did I mention EASY? I thoroughly enjoyed the earthy taste of the buckwheat and quinoa, and I topped a slice off with melted ghee right out of the oven…yep, food heaven.
I opted for the dairy-free version with the almond milk and lemon juice instead of yogurt. I didn’t want to “mess with” the original recipe too much but I look forward to adding in different spices, herbs and possibly other goodies…I’m thinking about a cheese and jalapeños variation! Thank you JJ for this gem of a recipe!
Quick Quinoa-Buckwheat Skillet Bread (recipe from 84th and 3rd)
Gluten-free, Nut-free, Refined Sugar-free, Dairy free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian friendly
- 1/3 cup quinoa flour
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1 tsp lemon juice OR 1/3 cup natural yoghurt (use non-dairy options for dairy-free)
- 1 egg, whisked
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda, sifted
- coconut oil, olive oil, butter or ghee for cooking (coconut oil is my fav!)
1. Use a fork to whisk all ingredients except baking soda. Let batter rest for 5 minutes while you preheat a small [20 cm / 8 in] skillet over medium to medium-low heat (I used medium-low because mine cooked more quickly).
2. Mix sifted baking soda into batter – it should start to bubble. Grease pre-heated pan with a bit of oil/butter, pour in all batter and shake pan slightly.
3. Cook 6-7 minutes. Run spatula around edge, flip carefully, cook 5-6 minutes. Turn out onto rack to cool.
Ideas for serving: Slather with butter/Earth Balance or your favorite nut butters and/or jam or jelly. Cut into fingers for an antipasto or cheese platter. Cut in quarters, split like a roll and fill with sandwich fillings – or really any other sandwich ingredient you could imagine.
If there is any left store in fridge until needed. It also toasts really well.
- Fancy it up: flavour with herbs like oregano and thyme to make it more savory or spices like cinnamon and cloves to sweeten it up.
- The vegan attempt: JJ tried this without an egg and it just doesn’t work the same way – proceed at your own risk…
- Make it bigger: Could you? Definitely, just keep the flours/water/yoghurt at a 1:1:1:1 ratio. You can go up to 1/2 cup of each for one egg although I’d increase the baking soda to a slightly heaped tsp. Then just multiply from there as you wish – BUT remember you still have to flip it… so try it out as is in a small skillet before you go too crazy.