Road Trip and Protein Nut Butter Balls
I hope everyone is having a super weekend so far! Right now, Chris and I are taking a road trip up to Montana for a long weekend so I have a quick post for you today…I couldn’t stay away from you all for five days!
Since we are traveling via car and don’t have to go through the strict regulations of air travel, I can easily bring my favorite snacks and ingredients along with me:
- one jar or almond-pumpkin seed butter
- one jar of homemade hummus
- a small jar of coconut oil
- snack mix and some dried fruit
- fresh fruit
- string cheese
- protein nut butter balls (recipe below, these are yummy cold, at room temp or frozen!)
You can make smaller batches if you’d like, just half or quarter the recipe
Protein Nut Butter Balls
1 cup crunchy or creamy unsalted/unsweetened peanut butter (or other nut butter or a combo)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract, optional
3-4 Tbsp honey or agave or maple syrup
5 scoops vanilla protein powder (I use Jay Robb’s whey)
1 – 3 Tbsp golden flaxseed, ground (or sub with oat flour) – could use brown flax but will be darker in color
couple shakes of cinnamon, optional
a pinch of sea salt
Optional Add-in Ideas:
raisins or currents
shredded coconut or coconut flakes
chocolate or carob chips
other sweet spices (cloves, ginger, allspice)
1. In a medium bowl, add nut butter, vanilla and sweetener. Stir to combine.
2. Add in protein powder, ground flax, cinnamon (if using) and a pinch of salt. Stir well until all ingredients are combined.
3. Add any additional ingredients if desired (see add-in ideas above) – optional
4. Roll into balls with your hands, and refrigerate or freeze to harden (or eat right from the bowl) and enjoy!
Makes about 16 – 18 balls
*If the mixture is too dry, add more honey/agave/maple syrup. If the mixture is too wet, add more protein powder and/or ground flax or oat flour.